Monday, December 5, 2016

Depressed and Ashamed to Tell Anyone?

Depressed and Ashamed to Tell Anyone?

This is the face of depression. My depression started very early in life. I had an episode when very young in my early 20's possibly earlier, because it's hard when you are a child at times  to convey to others what and why you are feeling the way you feel.

The doctor prescribed an antidepressant, I got better eventually getting off the antidepressant and lived normally for several years. Then one day in my 30's I realized looking into my mirror that I didn't know that person staring back at me. The realization just snowballed from there until one day I found my self in the middle of my living room floor on my knees praying for God to help me.

I had gotten to where I didn't care about anything, didn't want to leave my house and yet didn't want to be there either. I didn't tell my family, I didn't have to they could see with the extreme fatigue, loss of appetite and weight loss something was wrong. 

Still I didn't want to admit that (I was crazy) in fact I wasn't I was depressed. Next thing I knew my whole family was there in the living room with me on the couch telling me; I would be going to the doctor, which I did and was diagnosed with depression. They put me on Zoloft and by then a blood pressure medicine. 

All better right? Nope because I didn't take the medicines that the doctor gave me after hearing about all the side effects that it could cause and guess what? I didn't get better. I called my mom and talk to her. I told her my fears, she pointed out that if I didn't take the medicines even worst things could happen. She didn't live with us at the time but she told me to take them and she would even stay on the phone as long as I needed to make sure I would be okay.

That was the only push I needed. 

If you are reading this and you know something is wrong, you don't feel like yourself anymore, you don't want or enjoy doing things that you once did, can't sleep, feel worthless and any number of other things. 

Please I urge you to go to a mental health provider. There is nothing to be ashamed of you just need some help and there is no shame in that your not crazy. You just have a disorder that CAN be fixed but only if you make your move DO IT NOW DO NOT WAIT!


You are not alone, you have God, even if you have no family I am here to tell you that you do have people that care and I am one of them. 

I know you can get better you just have to want to!

Yes, there are people that care,

Susan